GOOGLE ANALYTICS URL BUILDER: WHAT IS IT AND WHAT IS IT FOR?
This tool is a means of tagging links within an advertising campaign. Similarly, thanks to the creator of Google Analytics URLs we can customize the same link for several channels.
Why is link tagging advisable? Because this action allows us to measure any kind of link in any format (banner, newsletters, email ...) and through any channel (social networks, website, blog ...) Only in this way we can identify the origin of the visits received through an advertising link, as well as a greater amount of data purified around them.
LINK TAGGING IS USEFUL BECAUSE:
- We can measure the net impact of a marketing action without considering, for example, its virality in social networks.
- We will be able to discover the individual functioning of a banner within the same marketing campaign.
- Email marketing actions or WhatsApp can be measured separately.
- It improves the results of affiliate or collaborator campaigns.
- We will have control over where our advertising campaigns work best.
- Paid traffic will be much more profitable, as you can track your campaigns and get much more complete information about their results.
HOW TO EASILY TAG A LINK
For URL tracing we are going to need a series of parameters known as UTM codes. These codes are small fragments of text that are added at the end of a URL making it more and more specific. These parameters make it possible to identify the effectiveness of marketing campaigns across the media or channels from which they are accessed.
Thanks to the UTM codes you will be able to:
1. Track all the information about your visits.
2. Optimize the keywords used in your marketing campaigns.
3. Discover what kind of content works best between your visits.
4. Identify exactly the promotion through which traffic has been generated to your website.
5. Optimize your advertising campaigns in order to get more conversions.
6. Know how your social networks are helping you to better position your content.
7. Analyze the effectiveness of internal links, etc.
To identify a natural URL and another tagged URL we will only have to pay attention to the appearance or not of the UTM codes.
HOW TO USE GOOGLE ANALYTICS URL CREATOR
Now that you know how link tagging works to improve the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns, let's show you how to take advantage of this tool. To do this, we only have to access the creator of Google URLs or Campaign URL Builder. Once there we find a form in which we only have to enter the variables that we want to analyze in Google Analytics.
In the creator of Google URLs there are two parameters that are mandatory:
- The address of the page we want to track (Website URL).
- UTM_Source or the source through which our traffic will proceed (Campaign Source).
- The means of the campaign we have used to impact our audience or UTM_medium.
- The name of the campaign or UTM_campaign, in order to identify the product, promotion or offer determined and its relationship with any action on it.
HOW TO SEE THE DATA GENERATED BY A TAGGED LINK
This is the most productive part of a marketing campaign. Check whether our efforts have produced results or, on the contrary, we need to improve our approach. To do this, go to Google Analytics and enter the menu "Acquisition" / "Campaigns". There we can see how all our advertising campaigns are sorted by name. Choose one of your campaigns and analyze it separately and individually.