BRANDING VS TRANSACTION
It is more or less clear that if you are creating an online store is because you intend to sell something, on the one hand we have businesses that for strategic reasons prefer that the brand has more weight than the sale of products themselves.
At the other extreme we would have those stores that are 100% transaction-oriented and where the brand is carried in other spaces, see social networks.
What is your plan? To strengthen the brand where you will surely need to show more graphic content? Or on the contrary to facilitate the transaction as much as possible with what you focus on the product? Or a hybrid with a little of both?
In line with the previous point, you have to consider the graphic material you have or will have in the near future. We have the opinion that a design is done above all by photos and other graphic material, almost more than the very structure with which the elements are presented. That is to say, two stores created on the same template can look very little, if the graphic material is different.
Among the many templates you can find in Shopify Theme Store, there are those that promote the use of graphic material more than others.
Do you have good brand photos? And product photos? Do you have videos that you would like to show in the online store?
NUMBER OF PRODUCTS AND CATEGORIES
Depending on the nature of your products and the number you plan to sell, you will have some needs or others in relation to the structure and navigation of your online store. How many products do you want to sell in your online store? How many product categories do you have? And subcategories? Do you need groups of filters?
In addition to the aspects already mentioned, it is very likely that your online store needs some additional functionalities to support your different online marketing strategies and actions. More and more Shopify templates can be found that already contain an interesting number of these additional features. In those cases where a template does not have some desired functionality, we can always supply that functionality using the appropriate marketing app of the many (free and / or paid) that we can find in Shopify App Store. Here we list some examples of additional functionalities that, as we have mentioned, we find more and more often included in the templates:
- Multi-currency: do you need your shop to display products in different currencies?
- Advanced filters: do you need to offer your customers the ability to filter by different groups of filters (e.g. brand, colour, price, etc…) when they are visiting one of your collections or product categories?
- Quick view/buy and Mini Cart: do you want your customers to be able to choose to access product details and the add to cart button more quickly? The first case would be when a customer wants to compare several products without necessarily the product card and the second case would be necessary when your customers buy the same product regularly.
- Search suggestions: do you have a large catalogue, and do you need your customers to receive suggestions when they are using the search in your online store, as Google does?
- Sizing guide: do you sell items that are sized, and would you like to make it easier for your customers to consult this information from all the product files?
CHARACTERISTICS, RATINGS AND EXAMPLES
Last but not least, once you have your Top 3 templates, we recommend you do the following with each of the selected ones:
- Read the ratings made by merchants or sellers who work with the template you’re studying, on the template itself and on the support received from the developers.
- Study the template documentation to make sure it meets your requirements.
- Analyze the different variations with which the template or theme comes: the same theme usually has several designs or templates. By acquiring a template, you will be able to make use of any of its variants, but it is always good to be aware of the possible beforehand.
- Visit online stores created with this template to see how they can look in a real environment.